Everyone has an opportunity to invest in the future of a child. It might be your child, a child that you are coaching or teaching, or the child of a friend or family member. Children are our future, and we are their mentors. Children watch your actions and listen to your words. What you say and do, influences the child who is watching you. Here are some good ideas for investing in children:
- Never lie to them. They are smart as hell and need truth more than protection.
- Tell them you love them every day.
- Hug and kiss them frequently. If they never receive physical affection, they won’t know how to give it or handle it.
- Let them get hurt. Pain is an invaluable teacher. They will only touch a hot stove once.
- Let them solve their own fights. When they run to you to solve the issue, say, “How would you solve the problem?” Then let them figure it out.
- Teach them about money, cash flow, business, and economics.
- Get them a pet.
- Teach them to survive. Teach them to hunt, fish, build a shelter, start a fire, grow food, and find clean water.
- Teach them manners. Please and thank you, yes sir, yes ma’am should not only be encouraged but expected. If you have no manners, neither will they.
- Give them all of you. Let them see you cry and be joyful and everything in between. Never hide your feelings or emotions from them.
- Build a relationship with them. They deserve more than your clients, golf buddies, or friends. Ask them questions. Find out what they love, and ask them what they fear. Actively be investing in a relationship with them.
- Be in their world. If they like video games, play video games with them. If they like sports, play sports with them. Do things THEY want to do even if it’s not your cup of tea.
- Make one-on-one time with you a priority. Be 100% present with them.
- Discipline with intention. Discipline them but teach them the lesson after. Always hug and kiss them and tell them you love them after you discipline them.
- Let them be a kid. They are nerdy, stinky, emotional creatures. Don’t try and make them a smaller version of you; let them be a kid.
Something to Think About
It seems like simple stuff, things we should all know and do automatically. But the truth is, we don’t take classes in school about how to be a good parent or good mentor for kids. It’s expected that we know what to do and say, but not everyone does. If you have a child in your life – make it a commitment to always be learning how to influence them for the better.
Choose one of the rules above and put it into practice. Not just for this week but every week.
Words of Wisdom
“The best inheritance a parent can give his children is a few minutes of his time each day.” –O. A. Battista
“We never know the love of a parent till we become parents ourselves.” –Henry Ward Beecher
“To understand your parents’ love you must raise children yourself.” –Chinese Proverb
“Parents aren’t the people you come from. They’re the people you want to be, when you grow up.” –Jodi Picoult
“Behind every young child who believes in himself is a parent who believed first.” –Matthew Jacobson
Unlock Your Real Estate Career
To It’s Full Potential
Schedule A Private and Confidential Appointment With Me.